I was up at 4AM and had my very scientific, perfectly calculated pre-race meal...a small slice of cheese pizza and a red bull. :D Gathered my gear and was out the door at 4:45 to pick up my gf who was planning on walking the half...it's her first time. As I walked out the door, I was greeted by Mister Moon...he was a kinda wonky shape, trying to get full, but impressive nonetheless. As we pulled onto the freeway the moon was an incredible orange/yellow...wish I had a camera but my batteries were dead in the little point and shoot I brought.
We got a little lost on the way but found our way to the parking and headed out for our first porta potty run. It was dark, cold, and we had our blankets. We waited in the car chatting, did a second pp run and one last one as headed to the start at 7:15. It was 37 when I left the house and it still felt that cold but remembering last year, I left my fleece vest behind and went with the gloves.
Are you ever ready at the start? I was feeling like I wouldn't be able to go all out and super nervous. Away we went!
This course doesn't have an elevation chart because it doesn't have enough elevation changes. BULL. I'm a flatlander and those were HILLS. non-stop. Fortunately, since I'm not a hill person, I don't know any better and kept on. At about mile 5 I was thinking I went out too fast, didn't think I'd hold it. I took my gu. Got to the turn around and then some and suddenly woke up and I was in the race...I looked at Garmin and I was at 7.91 miles. whew. half way there.
I started pacing a guy with a White Rock marathon shirt on. Just behind to the side of him. We kept each other going and chatted a bit. It really helped. I lost him at around mile 12. Mile 13 was down hill and I thought, TUCK n ROLL!!! There I went! I couldn't believe I was almost done!
My mile splits:
7:59
7:23
7:37
7:30
7:42
7:26
7:37
7:24
7:17
7:17
7:23
7:18
6:59
1:47 (.30) garmin measured me at 13.3 miles
chip time: 1:38:37 / 7:32 pace and a new PR. WHEW!!!!
I waited at the end and shook White Rocks hand and thanked him.
I feel really great. I woke up with sore knee and put some biofreeze on it and it felt great in minutes. My piriformis was bugging me by mile 8 but I think I'm just used to that at this point.
It was a great race. I'm really happy. Didn't get my 1:37 time but still, better than I had hoped for. Last year, I pr'd this same course with a 1:47:19 so this was a great improvement.
Surf City Marathon in 2 weeks!!!
Wanted to come back and add a few things. First off, 2 girls from the church running group, also ran this race. Tina came in at 2:20 and Christina (the one who rode up with me) came in at 2:36 !!! Christina planned on walking but I talked to her husband and he said she realized she had been running about 6 miles so she went with it! How great is that!
Official results came in and I was ecstatic with my placement!
Field Placement: 432 / 6334 (6.8%)
Age group: 35 – 39
Group Placement: 21 / 631 (3.3%)
Gender Placement: 96 / 3702 (2.6%)
The race predictor takes this race time and predicts a 3:27:59 marathon. HOLY COW! so maybe I can do a 3:35? I'm going to enjoy my rest the next 2 weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Congrats, Jennifer!!!!
You did sooo very well! Your times are amazing. And congrats on the PR:)
I need to buy a hat with an extension pole off the front so I can dangle YOUR pic there!:)
Man, Jennifer! You flew! Congratulations on the PR and awesome race. I can haz sum speed from you? You are one fast chicky!! (not meant in a derrogatory, chauvenistic way, but endearing)
WAY TO GO! Enjoy your taper, my running HERO!
p.s. - Do you wear a freakin' cape in these races?!?
I just figured out why you ran so fast...
less hair.
The secrets out. Unfortunately, I don't have any more to cut off to make me faster! :-(
Post a Comment