
ok, so it's a week late...Chinese New Year...the year of the pig!
My day started at the crack of dawn, I was up, ran a half marathon, was home by 8am. I barely had time to update my running log before we had to leave for my Grandfather's Memorial Service. It was 2 hours long at a Christ the Cornerstone Lutheran Church here in town. They had pastors from all over the US, South America, and the Bishop of...well, a Bishop from El Salvador. The boys sat through the longest, most liturgical church service ever. Culminating in their first taste of wine. I forgot that wine is much more widely accepted in these circles than our non-denominational services.
So many things to share about today...so many great stories but I'll just share one, in hopes of keeping this blog entry somewhere short of a novella.
So, my(step-by marraige) grandfather, Robert, was born at home in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Great Grandma G. labored long and had some difficulty...when Robert was born he was still, and expected to not survive. He was quickly wrapped in a newspaper and set in the corner of the room while Great Grandmother was tended to. Minutes later, a loud cry of protest was heard coming from that wrapped up newspaper. Seems Robert had a few things to say. At his baptism days later, the minister responded to Roberts loud cries by announcing, "this boy should be a pastor!" Little did that minister know the prophecy he spoke as Grandpa went on to become the first Lutheran Missionary in South America in 1947.
I came home long enough to get changed for our Chinese New year celebration. It was at a local restaurant and included all of the students of Master...Henry? Mike's Tai Chi instructor. There were about 200 people there. Lots of food. Lot's of fun. Check it out...I know it's the year of the pig, but can you tell what that is in the picture? YUM!
The boys were troopers today! Incredible! I don't think I spoke with a single person who was not WOW'ed by their politeness and good behavior. They really are great kids. We are so proud of them. The church service was a real stretch, yet they made it without so much as a hiccup. Well, we had a few giggling moments, LOL. Then the 2 hour reception...then the 4 hour Chinese New Year Celebration! Of course, I forgot my camera at both events and did not capture the games they played and won onstage, they were hysterical!
Anyway, happy New Year! I'll have to post a picture of the prosperity pot someone gave me. It's hideous, LOL! I'm supposed to put it in my money corner...it's a feng shui thing? That would be in the corner where Cole's bed is. Perfect! anywhere but the living room!

1 comment:
Gung hay fat choy! :-) Great run last Sunday! One day I hope to complete a half standing up. Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing though. ((((HUGS))))
Post a Comment