Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Running news

Got my 22 miler in. Did an 8 mile hill run the next Monday. Ran the next several days and by Friday, I had to cut my run short. My leg or calf or knee, I dunno. I really wanted to do my 20 miler on Saturday but took the day off to heat and massage my legs. I went to the SDRI to order new shoes, hoping to see Dr. Runco. He wasn't there. Got a pep talk from a guy named Alan Wagner...he just ran the Olympic Marathon trials in November, coming in 25th place with a 2:18 time. Very down to earth and encouraging.

I was up and running Sunday at 6am in the cold, dark, rain and wind. I did my last 20 mile run and felt great. I was on a high the rest of the day. Monday I went for a short 3mile recovery run that hurt every step of the way but met my monthly mileage goal of 200+ with 214 miles for the month of March. Couldn't run with the group on Tuesday and headed out to see Dr. R again. He said, Shin splints!? You are too experienced of a runner to get shin splints! Don't mess with this, take a day or two off. But today, the back of my calf and my knee hurts. I don't know what's real and what's phantom pains. I'm so very very frustrated.

Aside from that, I ordered my Boston Jacket.


So, that in and of itself motivates me to take a few days off and keep with the attitude that I want to make it to the start and then finish. I'm not going to worry about my time. Quote me on that. Because I seriously HATE running a race that I don't get a personal best as far as time. The one reassurance I have is that there was a poll at Runner's World online and out of over 200 runners, less than 20 bettered their qualifying time at Boston. So I wouldn't be alone. I guess that should make me feel better.

3 comments:

Zoomy said...

That phantom pains thing seems to be going around...Freckles has been dealing with it, as has SaraH. I am dreading marathon training for this reason.

;)

Nice jacket!

Jennifer said...

yanno K, I didn't have this my first time training. Not really my second time either. I think I've just hit my over training max threshold.

Thanks, I can't wait to get the jacket!

Rick said...

Just enjoy the race. I'll pray your pain issues won't be an issue... as I have been for myself! :)

Congratulations on the jacket. One of the guys I play with on our church worship team (we both play trumpet) has one. I have to admit... I covet the jacket cause I know I'll never have one. Sinner! LOL