Today was probably one of my best running days EVER! Not the farthest I've run, not even close to the fastest I've run but it's the beginning of a whole new adventure.
A month or so ago I was checking out the website of the Noble Canyon 50K and noticed an old friend, Jill, was registered to run it. I haven't spoken to her in 4+ years, I knew she was doing ultra marathons and had been googling her for the last year+ to see if I could track her down. I emailed the race director and he hooked us up. I've declared her to be my ultra-running-mentor.
Jill took me and another girl, Jeri, up to the Lagunas this morning for our first real trail run. It was a slice heaven!
We hit the PCT at around 6am. Jill decked me out with a water back pack (awesome) and some gaiters to keep debris out of my shoes. Off we headed southeast on the trail. It was cool 60's and after yesterday's rain, conditions were great. We were at about 5000ft elevation and according to Jill's estimate, we ran close to 4000ft in elevation gain. It took a mile or 2 to adjust to the elevation but it felt comfortable. The first half was a 6mile out and back to the "ball". I don't know what it was. We stopped to chat with a friend of hers who offered us hot coffee and rest at his *ultra runner's* cabin. Nice people.
The trail was as expected...I had to keep my eyes on the feet and ground in front of me on the narrow single lane trail. The terrain was constantly changing. We stopped to enjoy the breathtaking views of the high mountains. The battery in my camera was dead and I could cry!
We did the first 12miles and stopped for a few minutes at the car, refilling water, eating grapes and boiled potatoes, and I grabbed my now slushy handheld with powerade in it. I was feeling great. Boiled red potatoes will be my fuel of choice!
We got back on the trail and headed north past the end of the State trail with sweeping views of the Anza Borrego Desert below. It was amazing. We saw a few people...one lady was cute in her skirt and holding an umbrella.
I had a great time with Jill and Jeri. (I know I'm probably misspelling her name, sorry!) I felt like we were all in sync and the conversation was enjoyable and came easy. At mile 6 I was taking Jill's advice and still not planning on rushing into the Noble Canyon 50k but by mile 16 I was convinced I could do it and giddy at the notion because Jill and Jeri will both be there!
We finished with 22miles on the dot! I felt better than I could have imagined!
I'm so wound up right now, I wanted to get this all down before anything fades but I'm sure I'm missing something. It was a great day, a super run and the beginning of something new. Ultra marathoning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like a great day! DH has a water back pack and it's great. It's one of those "necessities" here in the hot, humid Midwest.
Yo! Just wanted to give you a shout out, let you know I am lurking around here to stay "in touch" w/you, since I dont have much MD time lately. (It's Jody-JOS) Glad to see Boston is still alive and well. ;)
Post a Comment