Friday, June 22, 2007

suMmer DAzE

busy busy busy...

We finished school last week and were thrust head on into summer time! I haven't really made time to get here for a while. ran last Saturday and decided that I needed to take a break from running. Talked with a guy at Movin Shoes about my pains. Basically, I got a tongue lashing. Well, he was very impressed that I BQ'd all by myself, with no group or special training, so I accepted a small pat on the back. He has coached several Olympic qualifying athletes and is good friends with Deena Kastor and he told me I was all wrong. Now being leery of name droppers, I still took his advice half heartedly. He offered to have me come in every week and he'd work with me. I guess I'd be stupid to turn down some training advice. So from there I began with 4 days of no running. I can't even convey to you the kind of monster one turns into when they cut running out for 4 days in a row. It's very depressing. Very. By Tuesday, I had a migraine and could barely function. I've been trying to rehab and finally made it out for 4 miles yesterday. Still tender and sore but more determined than ever. He strongly discouraged me from doing San Fran in 5 weeks. I've been having all kinds of nightmares all week.

Back to summer. We've spent a lot of time at the beach. The water is a balmy 69degrees and they tell me this is good? The boys are fearless in the water. The pool is more my speed and Curran is able to swim the length of the pool, stopping to taking breaths along the way. We've done a few more geocaches. The sunflowers are beginning to bloom. We've been out front until well after 9pm most nights. The neighborhood is hopping and the kids have mastered their own invention: WaveBoard soccer. It's very cool! Tonight we are having a neighborhood front yard BBQ and we'll bring the fire pit out front and call it a party. Wednesday I invited Dad over for dinner...his birthday was Thursday and I hadn't even called him for Father's Day. So we had a nice dinner, did the card thing, icecream and beer. Not necessarily in that order. :)

Today is Mike's 42 birthday! Happy Birthday Hon! I surprised him (and myself) with a dinner and show last night. I reached deep down into my incapable region and managed to set up babysitter, tickets to Triple Espresso and dinner at G5 (George's on Fifth). We had a blast! The show was really funny and we'd been wanting to see it for a few years. Well worth it. I wish I had a camera because Mike got called up on stage, LOL. I was laughing sooooo hard! He was such a trooper!

The big boys, Connor and Cole, spent yesterday at the Happiest Place on Earth! They went to Disneyland with their youth group. It was touch and go but they finally caved and decided to brave their roller coaster fears...more importantly, what they would do if they didn't want to ride something. Connor worried that the kids would make fun of him like they did at his old school at Santa Fe Christian. It's amazing the scars kids carry with them that we often don't even realize are there. Fortunately, there were other kids who were equally as afraid of some rides but more encouraging, it's a great group of kids. They are all supportive and kind to each other and skipping a ride was nothing to bat a lash at. They had a great time and are ready to go again.

Ok, now I'm rushing off for the hard stuff. I guess I'm in charge of tonight's activities so that means I need to take off and get some goodies. We have a jammed packed day and I need to go pick up Connor's buddy to spend the night with us, make a birthday cake, get the fixins for tonight's food fest and try to take my mind off the fact I won't get my run in today. :(

No comments: