Sunday, June 10, 2007

Never quite prepared


I'm the antithesis of your average Boy Scout. Never quite prepared. This habit usually rears it's ugly head whenever we head out to...well, to do just about anything. I'm notorious for forgetting to bring food and snacks. You can almost guarantee that I will forget sand toys. A trip to the mall often leaves me empty handed because I've forgotten my money/id/debit card.

Today we headed out for another geocache. This time I did remember the camera! We hiked almost .75 miles from the trail head, down through the canyon, crossing over the creek a couple of times, over a little bridge and precariously up the side of a ridge so as to avoid a tent. yeah. Tent. That's why I don't run trails! Anyway, we found the magnet cache and as usual, mom forgot to bring a magnet to leave so we could take one. ugh. I also forgot I was wearing white linen pants but was abruptly reminded when I fell on my butt.

What's a hike without a picture of the boys climbing in a tree? Cole wasn't completely challenged with creek crossing until he landed in calf deep water. I know you can barely see them...try clicking on the picture, it should get a little bit bigger. Of course, it took less than 30 seconds on the trail before the first male of the species (Cooper!) found and swung a big stick. Curran was such a trooper, always running ahead, scouting out possible routes. Cole wanted to use the Garmin but I really wasn't sure I was reading this new one correctly so next time I'll hand it over. Connor is my shadow lately. Always giving me shoulder rubs or hanging on me...it's really sweet.


All this after I ran 10+ miles this morning on a very sore hip/knee. Probably wasn't the best idea. After church I went to Movin Shoes and picked up a pair of Super Feet insoles. They felt fine on the hike...no hip or knee pain but my feet sure are sore. I'll let you know how they are working. The guy said to give it 10 to 14 days. That seems like a while.

No comments: