Friday, April 6, 2007

My new mantra.

Finish every training run with your hands to the sky and a smile on your face because you DID IT! one.more.mile.

I haven't been eating well at all this week. I knew it would hit eventually but I just haven't been able to eat at all. Now I have a sore tongue, mush for brains, general nausea and major fatigue. ugh. stupid me, I know better! I was feeling so horrible this morning and I really didn't want to do my race pace run so I thought, what a better day to buck up and go for it? So with a just a few sips of Red bull, feeling like I was gonna hurl, I decided to do an empty tank-stress run and see how far I could push this old body.

mile 1: 8:15 My pace is determined by that first mile so I went with it.
mile 2: 8:18 I could stop and throw up...but I'd have to stop
mile 3: 8:11 Thank you Lord! I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!
mile 4: 7:42 there's a disgusting smell coming from the west side of Sea World
mile 5: 7:46 past the 2 bridges, singing along to Phil Collins
mile 6: 7:33 I'm totally in the zone and feeling bullet proof
mile 7: 7:45 I'm dying of thirst
mile 8: 7:49 lady get your 2lb dog off the 20ft leash stretched across the boardwalk!
mile 9: 7:51 the hardest part, I have to go past the start to finish the last.4miles

I stopped to check my garmin and was like, "sweeeeeeeet!" and a guy and his wife said, "way to go! you did it!" and gave me a few claps. How cool was that?

So I stopped off on the way home for 2 pints of blackberries, spinach and oysters. Maybe I'll go back and get myself a steak.

I can SO totally do 26.2 at an 8:30 pace!

6 comments:

Tee said...

Way to go Jennifer! That's a smokin' pace, I agree that you can do it too! I didn't know you have a Garmin, my coworker has an older model (ie it has a serial connection, not USB! lol) and he's trying to convince me that I need one too. ;-P What model do you have? Do you use the HR monitor too?

Jennifer said...

I have the Garmin Forerunner 301. It has since been replaced by the 305 but I have a tiny tiny wrist and have tried the 305 and don't think it would be a good fit. I'm hoping this one lasts me a long time. I just realized that I've been using it for a year, this week! Over 1200 miles logged and it's still going strong. I do use the hrm too...but not all the time. It digs into my boney chest. ::blushes::

YOU NEED A GARMIN!

Tee said...

I have a tiny wrist too! Maybe I will keep my eye out for a 301, I bet there are some places that still hung on to them, even though the 305 is out. :-)

Tee said...

Heh, I just went to a mail order place in Manitoba and holy moly, even the HR monitor on the 305 is huge! I'm short waisted, that thing would go down to my hips, LOL!!!!

Jennifer said...

so yeah, you can google the 301 and find price comparisons. I think mine was 249 at REI. So they are definitely cheaper. I have even toyed with the idea of getting a back-up 301 in case mine bites the dust because I really like how it lays on my wrist.

Happy hunting!

Tee said...

http://www.prairie.mb.ca/compare_gps.php?t=forerunner

This place is on the way to my SILs, 4 hours out of town. $209Cdn for the 301 is about $182US.