Saturday, March 17, 2007

addicted to running

and I've been on a runner's high all day. Whew! I had THE best long run today. One of those amazing, running is a drug, experiences! I'm not even half way through my training but my long runs are getting really long and it's good. I need to get that distance back in my head.

I had some new tunes on my Ipod...cleared out everything else I had, added my Mercy Me cd, Jack Johnson's Curious George cd, a few country songs, and get this. The Bee Gees. LOL! I have to go back and find more of them!

It was pitch black when I started but people were arriving for the St. Pat's day 10k so I felt pretty safe. By the time I hit the path along the channel, I could see the Track Club setting up their water stops and about 2 miles later I ran through all of them meeting and warming up. I enjoyed the route around the bay that I only include in my super long runs, then from the South Mission Jetty up the boardwalk and eventually crossing back over to a bayside route. Around that bay, up some wicked steep steps to cross over 2 more bridges, then headed back to the channel for the final stretch. I was pretty stoked because I had misjudged the distance and was going to go over my planned 16 miles.

The Track Club was running back and forth along the channel. This is along where you hit mile 20 at the Rock n Roll marathon. Out of nowhere, Lynne runs up to me and gives me a high five! She's so great! She's like a where's waldo and always surprises me from in a crowd, LOL!

So I get past the channel, head back over to De Anza boardwalk and there are the 10k runners. They were using the boardwalk and it was shoulder to shoulder. I'm at mile 16 passing people right and left. I'm an energy sucker! I ran through the finish line, hehehehehe, and kept running. I finally stopped and gave myself a 1/4 mile cool down walk.

I'm SO not anxious anymore. I could have totally gone 9 more miles today. I don't know why I get so nervous about my long runs. But God is faithful. I feel so blessed and grateful that He has given me this and I feel His presence out there.

So I went shopping and got a new pair of running shoes. After less than 3 months, I have over 300 miles on this pair already. At this rate, it looks like I'll need another pair before the actual marathon!

... to the cross I run, holding high my chains undone. Now I am finally free, free to be what I've become...undone. ~Undone~by Mercy Me

1 comment:

Tee said...

Wow, that does sound like a great run, I can feel the energy in your post! BTW, I am taking notes about your power foods. I'll let you know if I find something amazing ;-) LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions about the shoes. The running stores here don't have a really good selection of motion control shoes (I can't wear even the most supportive stability shoes) but one day I will find the Holy Grail of Running Shoes. (grin)