Tuesday, April 21, 2009

113th Boston Marathon

Boston 2009...incredible!

I met Jackie and Louis here in Boston last year. Louis BQ'd at his first marathon in Surf City and was ready to set a PR at Boston. Jackie caught the bug and BQ'd at her second marathon in Tuscon. We have been running buddies this cycle and it has made long runs incredibly enjoyable to chat away for 3 hours. We flew out on the same flight and kicked off the weekend with a picture in front of the first poster we found at the baggage claim.


Headed to Legal Seafood for dinner, we had to wait for a table and killed time in lululemon. Fortunately, they were offering complimentary food and drinks, and a banner to sign with our goal time. I wrote "Jennifer 3:35" right under "I will"



After a yummy lobster roll at LS, we headed over to the Runner's World Forum Encounter at The Beerworks. Time for blueberry ales with my Cali peeps!



Sunday morning we headed to the Race Expo at the Hynes Convention Center



OOOOH, the excitement...time to pick up the bibs!



another amazing volunteer...they are all celebrities! Bib: check


Stopping to watch a video of the course. That little section of the expo was packed for every loop of that video. It seems really long when you sit and watch.



Walking up Boylston after the expo, picture of the finish line. Sweet!



Heading over to try to get tickets to a red Sox game: FAIL This is THE CITGO sign we look for at mile 25...you know you're almost there! This is behind Fenway park.




I was really scared this horse would hurt me but I couldn't resist...hahaha!



We have to pass through the Circus Tent while in line to the pre-race pasta dinner. Because a man in spandex, doing acrobats with a chihuahua, is supposed to ...nevermind. You can see.



Race morning at the Boston Commons, Red Bull in hand, getting ready to load the bus for the trip to Hopkinton.



Off the bus in Hopkinton and you see a few of the porta potties lining the Athlete's Village.


Entering the Athlete's Village to wait for a few hours.


The Famous Sign...




Finally found Marion in the Village!



After the pictures, we headed to the porta potties, dropped off our gear bags, and made our way to the start line. I needed to go to the bathroom again at the start but knew I wouldn't have time so I waited until just after mile 15 where I lost 1:47 waiting for a bathroom. ARGH! oh well. I was on pace until then...pretty on course for a 3:30 which was my pie in the sky goal. After losing the time and fighting to catch back up, I lost too much time on the Newton hills to recover. The winds were picking up, I was getting cold but once I hit mile 21, I had a huge surge of energy...only 5 miles to go!!! That last 10k was by far the best. I made my last turn onto Boylston and was brought to tears again. Incredible.

The worst part of the race was the finish line...it was SO cold and windy! I finished 3:34:34 which was fine. A course record for me and just under the 3:35 I had estimated, so I was pleased.




Jackie came in strong and I was SO happy for her! Tiny little thing ran the entire course in short sleeves...I was cold just looking at her.


Our post race dinner at Beerworks. Barb and Jackie both had marathon PR's here and it was quite the celebration! I scarfed down the biggest hamburger and order of fries...and then secretly wished I had chocolate chip cookies and milk.

5 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

Jennifer - the *best* report yet! Thanks for taking the time and trouble and for all the pictures. And thanks capturing the feel for all of us stuck back here at home.

Congratulations on a great effort!

Jennifer said...

Thanks Glenn :o) I didn't have the energy to type up more stuff so I was glad I had pictures to share otherwise it would have read, "I ran Boston in 3:34:34 It was awesome!" hahaha!

spassmeister said...

Great race report. You had so many great photos...I really wish I'd seen a report like this prior to going this year as it was quite informative about what to expect.

I got inspired by yours and wrote up a little report of my own: www.spassmeister.com/training

Jennifer said...

Thanks Glenn! Good luck this weekend!

Mark~glad you liked the pictures...that was the one thing I learned from last year: bring smaller/easier to use camera! I enjoyed your race report and am super jealous you got to meet Ryan!

spassmeister said...

i'm skipping Rock 'n Roll this year to do the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon...triathlons don't injure me as much as pure running does...but i'll be back in Boston - with my travel camera - in 2010!