Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Over training: GUILTY!

argh! I know! I KNOW!! The last 5 months have been so incredibly frustrating for me. One injury after another left me chomping at the bit to finally get back out there. After rebuilding my base in Sept, going into October, I was feeling pretty well put together. I've bumped up from old faithful, Hal's Int II, to the Pfitz 18/55 plan. After almost hitting a 50mile week, the fires struck and I was down for a whole week. Itching to get back, I'm pretty sure I did too much too fast and I just wanna scream!

I was exhausted by the time I did my 17 miles on Saturday and couldn't really separate body pains from general fatigue. Then Monday, on a steep downhill through Tecolote Canyon, I totally felt a sudden sharp pain in my hip/down the side of my leg. I'm pretty sure I've segued right into ITB issues.

So now I'm becoming best friends with my foam roller, The Stick, and a handful of recovery ideas. Next I think I'll get some advil and start trying the antiinflammitory angle, as much as I hate the idea of taking ibuprofen, I can live with myself if it's short term. I will give serious consideration to backing down to Hal's Int II since my main goal is to actually run the marathon, not rack up another DNF.

My FIL moved out last Saturday...although he borrowed the neighbor's van (don't get me started) so he will be back. Mike has told him he can't stay with us. He is still up in the air as to what type of treatment he will get for his newly diagnosed prostate cancer but he wants to be treated down here. I'm not sure how that is going to work for him. I'm praying he can find a place up where he is staying with Doug and Kelly. We do not have an extra bed for him to recover in and my couch is not an option. I sound horrible, I know. But I've had 8 yrs of the inlaws living with us and I have drawn a line in the sand. As long as there are other options, they will have to be utilized.

No comments: