Sunday, November 18, 2007

Happy Birthday Cole!!!

Cole Denham turned double 1's today! We had church and then Christmas program practice, followed by the birthday dinner of pot roast. Tomorrow is the day we celebrate and I promise to post pictures! He finally got a Nintendo DS Lite and it came with Brain Age, a finger wrap stylus, and it's the really cool red color he wanted. Tomorrow we have 5 or 6 of his buddies coming over for game night and festivities. Should be fun!

Mike and I hit the canyon trails this afternoon. It was HIS long run day and I didn't want to interfere with whatever pace he wanted to keep.(HA!) I was excited to be able to run with him again! We walked down to the trail head about a half mile away. Nice warm up. Then we took off, with Mike wearing my crutch Garmin. I let him lead thinking I was going to be able to keep up, no problem. HA!

It started out deceivingly manageable as we headed on a downward slope to the bottom of the canyon. It was really beautiful...I didn't think we had any cool tree covered trails down there but it was great! Mike was chatting away and I was able to chat right along with him. We took a couple of wrong turns in the forks in the road and ran through the rocky creek bed a couple of times before reaching the golf course. We started on a series of climbs along the edge. At this point in time, I have a huge cramp in my stomach...the kind you get when you pull your butt off the couch and walk a flight of stairs for the first time in 20 years. NOT the kind of thing that should be happening to me! I haven't had a stitch like that in years.

Meanwhile, up ahead of me, Mister Happy, is still yammering away at me as we round another turn and face a hill that really ought not be there. Didn't we just run that same hill 4 or 5 times? I gasp, "NOOOOOOOOOO, I don't wanna run that hill" Mister Happy LAUGHS!! We go up up up and over before finally turning around just as some other guy passed us. We started following him and Mike actually turns around and whispers, "let's catch him!" Stinker. Doesn't he know I'm DYING? Yet there was NO way I was going to give up and there was no way I wasn't going to catch up with Mike and the bunny guy.

We head back and quickly catch him and pass him. Now I know I'll live. I just wish Mike would shut up now...I was not wishing he'd twist his ankle and have to walk back because that would just be evil. He turns back and says, I'm gonna sprint the final quarter mile. Whaaaa? aren't we already sprinting!? This is the LAST time I let him have my Garmin. I'm a total wreck without it. Sure enough we took off. He beat me by about 20 ft. Not bad. I'd go out on a second date.

Next time I'm bringing the camera.

1 comment:

Norm Deplume said...

DH and I have convinced Nora that it's okay that we use a freeze ray on her so she never gets past six years old. But you're brave: you've let your kids grow up. Good on you for that. ;)

And I still think you're crazy for running on purpose, lol.