Saturday, October 6, 2007

2007 Beach Fest 8k run

The PB Beach Fest is today. They have vendors and tents up everywhere. Down the beach they had the Travel Channel's Sand Blaster's competition. We had a really great time!

The race was on the beach. High tide was lapping up onto the soft sand and there was quite a slant. It was perfect weather though, sunny and 58 degrees. I walked up wrapped up in my blanket. I met up with a friend...she's actually my chiro's secretary and my kids' piano teacher. Then I ran into Marcos and his buddy...it's so much more fun being able to hang out and talk.

They backed us down to the pier and somehow I landed right smack in front. UGH. I started out a bit hard...my first 800 was 2:58 and I was already spent so I slowed down and followed Marcos. I kept slipping in the kelp and splashing through the tide. Not quite my optimal running conditions, LOL.

So I was right behind this one guy at the turn around and they were handing out bottled water. I grabbed one and ran with it. I couldn't get it opened and frustratedly gasped, "I can't open this!" The guy in front of me reached back, relay style, grabbed it from me, opened it and handed it back.

I really needed that water and tried to pick up the pace on the way back. I had only seen 2 girls in front of me but I thought I probably missed a few others so I was just hoping for an age group placement. About 1/2mile to the finish I could see the shadow of a girl behind me (her ponytail) and I thought, NO way this girl is passing me. So I turned it on. As I crossed the finish they said, "3 female over all... and the 4th" and I was SO jazzed!!

I immediately hunted down my water savior and thanked him. He's a relay coach!

Dh was on the balcony of the lifeguard tower snapping pics.

Sprinting to the finish...

I got 3rd in my age group but I was also the 3rd overall female finisher. How's that for the most competetive age group?


It was pretty small. 212 runners. my standings...

My time: 39:46/8:00 min pace
33/212 overall group
3/20 age group
3rd overall female

after, I walked back to the car and put our stuff (camera) away and then we went to the party. I wished I had brought my camera. The Sand Blasters sand sculpting was so cool. Why do they call it Sand Blasters? because every few hours they randomly blow up one of the sculptures and the crew has to start over again.

Curran has been begging for a baby bird. Everytime we are out at the beach or park he gets so upset that he can't catch one. (there's a point to this) He cries and acts so surprised but, you know, we all know you never catch a bird, right? Well today was his lucky day! I was getting adjusted at my chiro's tent and the kids were on the beach when I heard a huge ruckus. Curran had caught a pidgeon! Everyone was laughing and crowed around snapping pictures. The lady in the Hookah tent next to us snapped a few pictures and is going to email them to me. I'll have to post them when they get here.

No comments: