Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ready to run!

Tomorrow is an anniversary of sorts. After years of running mediocraty, multi sport challenges, short distance races, I finally got the serious mileage bug. I ran the AFC for the first time in 2005. Looking back, I was woefully ill prepared. In fact, almost as unprepared as I am tonight, LOL! I was so nervous and scared from the get go. I wore uncomfortable clothes and was not prepared to run the final hill. My final time was 1:54:20 The post race drama was an even bigger let down. I went into a bit of a depression after that race and really didn't think I would do it again.

Last year was huge turn around for me. I had just run the Rock and Roll Marathon and the thought of a half marathon had me relaxed and enjoying it. I had a couple of girlfriends who ran it too so it was fun having the company before and after. I beat my 2005 time with a 1:47:19 finish time.

This year? eh. I've run less than 60 miles in the last month and a half. Coming off of marathon training where I peaked at 55 miles per WEEK, this is a huge drop. I've been battling pirifimoris syndome and metatarsalgia. To make matters worse...well, let's just say, I'm poppin a Midol tonight. That seems to be a pre-race ritual for the last several races I've done. GRRRR.

But all in all, I see no reason why I can't do well. I'm rested. I was thinking I would settle for a 2hr time but today I've talked myself into beating last years time. I have to...it's a tradition.

So, I've gagged down some food today, literally. I've hydrated. I have everything out and ready to go. My ETD is 4:15AM If all goes well I'll be at Cabrillo National Monument watching the sunrise over beautiful downtown San Diego at around 5AM. Wish me luck!

No comments: