Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Stupid Scale

Running a marathon is like giving birth. The first time is really scary because you have no idea what to expect. I mean, you read and hear all of the stories and wonder where your experience will fall on the difficulty and time scale. The second time you are just as scared because you KNOW what to expect but realize, it could be better or it could be worse, but you know it's gonna hurt like heck. The third and fourth time, I resolved myself that I could live through it. I haven't experienced that fifth time. I feel like I'm looking at an unmedicated c-section.

Tomorrow is my fifth marathon...the 3rd in 4 months which doesn't even give me a marathon maniac number let alone any kind of tough chick points. I haven't been able to really run since 3 weeks(9weeks) before Boston. I don't remember what a pain free run even feels like. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being fully prepared with 18 weeks worth of a marathon training program under your belt, and 1 being, gee, I think I could do 26.2 tomorrow, why not give it a go? I land somewhere around 2. And to add insult to injury, I'll be throwing all fashion sense into the wind and wearing knee high compression socks. The pictures are gonna be fun.

4 comments:

Zoomy said...

If anyone can make knee-high compression shots look hot it's you, girl!

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I hope you are pleasantly surprised and have a race that doesn't have you swearing-off running ever again.

;)

Norm Deplume said...

Mr Deplume ran in his first race ever yesterday. It was a 5k, a far cry from what you've been doing. But I think he's hooked now, just the same. You runners are all nuts. ;)

Jennifer said...

hey Robin, tell him you know of a great marathon in San Diego the first Sunday in June! He's got a whole year to train. :o)

Rick said...

You surely have *tough chick* points in MY book, Jennifer!